Director of Communications (part-time)
St. John’s, Lafayette Square is a vibrant Episcopal church in Washington, DC, known for its music, preaching, fellowship and service. Organized in 1815 and situated across from the White House, every president has worshiped at St. John’s at least once beginning with James Madison. Our church has become even more prominent with the events of last summer when we stood at the heart of the demonstrations for racial justice and healing after the murder of George Floyd, including an infamous photo op that has become one of the iconic images of 2020.
St. John’s is seeking a Communications Director (part-time) to help us more effectively take advantage of the unique opportunities presented to us to share God’s message of love and grace locally and beyond. This new role will report to the Rector, and will build upon robust communications efforts already in effect, developing strategic approaches and a unified voice across many platforms. We seek for our communications to both connect the Church’s ministry to the wider world and also to better connect our members to one another, amplifying the opportunities to grow in faith together. We are looking for an experienced communications professional who is passionate about aligning media, messaging, and platforms in ways that will deepen and enhance St. John’s mission. This role will require an individual who is collaborative, a self-starter, and experienced at creating and delivering communications content, including written, visual, and video media production. This role in large part will be in-person at the church once conditions allow, so the applicant must live locally.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The successful candidate will: Bring a thoughtful and strategic approach to the branding and messaging for all parish communications—ensuring consistency in their appearance, content, and tone, and will explore opportunities to bring increased visibility to the parish and its activities.
- Establish communications strategies and best practices, including, but not limited to, the creation of a single, unified visual brand that reinforces the parish’s key messages and ministry.
- Oversee all communication channels and collateral including the website, social media presence, publications, newsletters, announcements, and more, working with staff who are already in place to execute this work.
- Support with other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- The desire to establish and cultivate interpersonal and working relationships with staff, parishioners, and relevant external stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative, exercise discretion, demonstrate accountability, and display a sense of humor when working both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent organizational, planning, writing, editing skills.
- Knowledge of digital and print technology. Experience with social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms).
- Working knowledge of the Episcopal Church and a heart for building Christian community in a church setting.
- Occasional availability on Sundays and for special church events.
- A degree in communications, public relations or relevant field with 6 years or more of relevant work experience.
This position is part-time with a competitive salary, based on 18 hours per week, and exempt.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with “Director of Communications Candidate” as the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.