A leadership role on the staff of St. John’s Church reporting to the Rector, the Communications Manager will develop and guide the implementation of a unified communications approach across many platforms, both connecting the Church’s ministry to the wider world and connecting its members to one another, as well as amplifying the opportunities to grow in faith together. We are looking for an experienced communications professional who is passionate about aligning media, messaging, and platforms in ways that will deepen and enhance St. John’s mission. This role will liaise with many stakeholders for regular weekly communications and requires an individual who is collaborative, a self-starter, and experienced at creating and delivering communications content, including written, visual, and video media production. This role in large part will be in-person at the church once conditions allow, so the applicant must live locally.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Establish communications strategies and best practices, including, but not limited to, the creation of a single, unified visual brand that reinforces the parish’s key messages.
- Oversee all communication channels and collateral including the website, social media presence, publications, newsletters, announcements, and more, managing staff who are already in place to execute this work.
- Bring a thoughtful and strategic approach to the branding and messaging for all parish communications—ensuring consistency in their appearance, content, and tone, and explore opportunities to bring increased visibility to the parish and its activities.
- Develop a style manual; oversee maintenance of an informative, accurate, easy-to-navigate, and visually appealing website; and supervise the graphic design and content for all publications.
- Occasionally serve as photographer and videographer for church events.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2 years or more of relevant work experience.
- Excellent organizational, planning, writing, editing and supervision skills.
- Knowledge of digital and print technology. Experience with social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms).
- The desire to establish and cultivate interpersonal and working relationships with staff, parishioners, and relevant external stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative, exercise discretion, demonstrate accountability, and display a sense of humor when working both independently and as a member of a team.
- Working knowledge of the Episcopal Church and a heart for building Christian community in a church setting.
- Availability on Sundays and for church events on weekends and evenings, as needed, and to attend in-person staff meetings weekly.
This position is part-time, based on 18 hours per week, and exempt.
About St. John’s Church:
We believe Christ is calling St. John’s, Lafayette Square to be a renewed church in a changing world. Empowered by the Spirit of God, we respond to Jesus’ call as we deepen our bond with Christ through worship, become a community where all are accepted, and work together as laity and clergy to do God’s work in the world.
St. John’s was organized 1815 to serve as a parish church for Episcopalians residing in the neighborhoods in the west end of the District of Columbia. Its cornerstone was laid on September 14, 1815, and it was consecrated on December 27, 1816. Beginning with James Madison, every person who has held the office of President of the United States has attended a service at the church. Several Presidents have been communicants. Thus, St. John’s is often referred to as the “Church of the Presidents.” Pew 54 is the President’s Pew. The architect of the church was Benjamin Henry Latrobe, who assisted in the rebuilding of the U.S. Capitol and the White House after the War of 1812. Twenty-five of the stained glass windows in St. John’s were designed and executed by artisans of the noted Lorin firm of Chartres, France.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with “Communications Manager Candidate” as the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.