The Lively- Fulcher organ is a versatile instrument which adds beauty to our worship services and concerts. The eclectic style of the instruments lends itself well to solo repertoire, accompanying the choir, or leading a congregation singing robustly.
Starting with St. John’s first organist, architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, the church has had a history of fine pipe organs. Most recently this included a Skinner organ installed in 1927 that was eventually replaced with a Gress-Miles organ in 1969. This instrument too fell into a state of disrepair, which led the Organ Committee to invest in a new organ. After extensive research and consideration of various proposals, the organ committee decided to contract Lively-Fulcher Pipe Organs of Rocky Mount, Virginia to build a new instrument. The organ was installed in March 2009 and dedicated at a special Evensong service on November 1, 2009.