The Program Assistant will report to the Director of Operations.
This part-time, lay position will focus on organization and support for programmatic activities, lay leaders, and parish volunteers, and providing hospitality for all who encounter St. John’s Church during the week. As the first contact with guests, the person in this position represents St. John’s and conveys the warm hospitality of the church.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Answer phones and greet visitors and guests in a friendly, welcoming manner.
- Manage inputs and updates to our membership database. Update vestry and staff lists.
- Monitor security cameras, as requested.
- Maintain event and zoom calendars, schedule supply clergy, and maintain church registers and parochial report summaries.
- Maintain office and program supply inventory including hospitality supplies.
- Arrange hotel reservations for visiting speakers and order food for special events.
- Prepare welcome letters and other mailings to parishioners and newcomers. Prepare baptismal and confirmation certificates.
- Other clerical duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree. This is preferred, but not required.
- Prior experience in a parish setting.
- A heart for hospitality.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point, Adobe, Realm and the ability to learn new technical skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and an ability to work with a diverse community of volunteers.
- Attention to detail.
- A working knowledge of the Episcopal Church is preferred.
This position is part-time, non-exempt. Sunday is a workday for this position.
About St. John’s Church:
We believe Christ is calling St. John’s, Lafayette Square to be a renewed church in a changing world. Empowered by the Spirit of God, we respond to Jesus’ call as we deepen our bond with Christ through worship, become a community where all are accepted, and work together as laity and clergy to do God’s work in the world.
St. John’s was organized 1815 to serve as a parish church for Episcopalians residing in the neighborhoods in the west end of the District of Columbia. Its cornerstone was laid on September 14, 1815, and it was consecrated on December 27, 1816. Beginning with James Madison, every person who has held the office of President of the United States has attended a service at the church. Several Presidents have been communicants. Thus, St. John’s is often referred to as the “Church of the Presidents.” Pew 54 is the President’s Pew. The architect of the church was Benjamin Henry Latrobe, who assisted in the rebuilding of the U.S. Capitol and the White House after the War of 1812. Twenty-five of the stained glass windows in St. John’s were designed and executed by artisans of the noted Lorin firm of Chartres, France.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant Candidate” as the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.