The Vestry’s Charge to the Rector Search Committee
St. John’s Church, Lafayette Square
March 20, 2018
On Tuesday, March 20, by a unanimous vote,
the Vestry adopted the following charge to the Rector Search Committee:
- The Rector Search Committee (Committee) is a committee of the Parish, appointed by the Vestry, and charged to conduct a thorough, thoughtful and prayerful search and evaluation of qualified candidates for the position of Rector for St. John’s Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square. The selection and call of a Rector is the most important decision the Vestry can make. TheCommittee, therefore, should conduct the search for as long as may be necessary for the successful completion of this charge.
II. The Committee
- The Committee consists of a chair and eleven other members.
- The Committee shall approach the search process prayerfully, with attention to the relevant provisions of Canon Law and Diocesan and National Church requirements pertaining to the search process, and bearing in mind the interests of the whole parish and all of its various constituencies and ministries.
- The Committee shall meet as often as may be necessary to ensure the prompt and efficient completion of its charge.
- The Committee periodically will update the Parish on its progress. The Chair of the Committee will keep the Vestry fully informed about the developments in the search for a new Rector, either by e-mail or appearing at Vestry meetings or both.
- The Committee shall serve as the contact point between the Parish and the Diocese for communications regarding the search. These communications shall be kept confidential, except that such communications may be disclosed to the Vestry.
- At the earliest possible date, the Committee will prepare a budget and submit it to the Vestry for approval.
IV. Scope of Search
- The Vestry directs the Committee to conduct a national search, without regard to age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, or nationality, for a rector who will be an effective leader in the parish, the Diocese and the national Church.
V. Self-Assessment Process
- The Committee shall undertake a process of self-assessment, which shall include a survey of the Parish. The results of that process will be summarized on the Rector Transition page of the church’s web site.
- The Committee shall keep confidential any information obtained during the search process that concerns specific potential candidates.
VII. Presentation of Final Candidates
- The Committee shall present to the Vestry for its consideration no fewer than two and no more than three candidates to be the next Rector. The Committee also shall rank the candidates and include a short, written explanation of the basis for the ranking. The names of the candidates shall be presented at a joint meeting of the Vestry and the Committee.
- The Vestry will negotiate with the successful candidate the terms of a contract and benefits package.